This is a great way to use up leftover applesauce.
- 3 cups dry bread cubes (about 4 slices)
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter an 8x8x2 inch pan and layer half the bread cubes.
- Combine applesauce, cinnamon, nutmeg and spread over bread.
- Layer remaining bread on top and dot with butter.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt; pour over bread and lightly sprinkle cinnamon over top.
- Bake until a knife comes out clean, about an hour.