Serves 6, as open-faced sandwiches.
- 3 thick slices of country bread or 6 ciabatta rolls, halved horizontally
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons apple butter
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1¼ pounds Black Forest ham, thinly sliced (or smoked turkey)
- 12 ounces extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, sliced
- fresh chives, chopped
- Brush top side of bread/rolls with oil.
- Broil until rolls begin to brown around edges, about 2 minutes.
- Mix apple butter and mustard and spread on each roll.
- Mound ham loosely on top, then cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts and begins to brown in spots, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and serve.