- 2 medium Northern Spy or Empire apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 6-8 slices of country white bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Add apple slices, brown sugar, maple syrup, and butter in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat until brown sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 6-8 minutes longer. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly and thicken while you prepare toast.
- In a large, wide bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, milk, and cinnamon. Stir in flour and whisk until smooth. Completely submerge one slice of bread in the mixture, careful to coat both sides. Lift the bread out of the liquid and allow to drip off excess.
- Cook toast in a large pan over medium heat 1-2 minutes until lightly browned, then flip and cook other side 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining bread slices. Generously top toasts with apple-cinnamon mixture and dust with powdered sugar.