- 1 medium Sweet Sixteen apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced Cipollini onion
- 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine apple slices and lemon juice; toss to coat. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, cream, thyme, salt and pepper, set aside.
- In an 8 or 9 in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Alternately arrange potato and apple slices in a single layer in same skillet.; pour cream mixture over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 50 minutes. Top with bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned, 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.