- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. hot chile oil
- 1⁄2 tart apple, such as Shizuka or Granny Smith, minced
- 1 lb. medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tbsp. grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. minced chives
- Heat 2″ canola oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375°.
- Stir fish sauce, lemon juice, chile oil, and apple in a large bowl; set sauce aside.
- Working with 1 sprout at a time, use a paring knife to cut an “x” halfway through stem end, keeping sprout intact. Working in batches, fry sprouts until golden brown and slightly crisp, 2–3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sprouts to paper towels to drain.
- Add sprouts to bowl with sauce and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a serving platter; garnish with Pecorino, sesame seeds, and chives.